Many people think the terms “lawn care” and “landscaping” are one and the same, but they are in fact different.
We all want our lawns to look good, and regular lawn care is the key to getting that.
If you want your lawn to look its best day in and day out, professional lawn care and landscaping services are what you need.
The good news is, they can personalize the job so you always get exactly what you want, and the services cost a lot less than you think.
The basic difference between lawn care and landscaping is that lawn care involves the care of an existing lawn, whereas landscaping is transforming a regular lawn into something unique by adding plants, trees, and flowers that the customer has requested. Both involve regular maintenance throughout the year to look good, but landscaping is creating a good-looking lawn and lawn care is keeping it looking good all year around.
Table of Contents
Some of the Main Differences
When it comes to lawn care vs. landscaping, there are some key differences, even though both of them involve making your lawn look amazing.
Think of basic lawn care as routine maintenance because it involves a lot of basic tasks such as:
- edging and trimming
- mowing or cutting the lawn
- removing weeds
- applying new grass or fertilizer, and a few others
With landscaping, the workers are starting from scratch and transforming an area from something ordinary to something extraordinary.
When you hire a company for basic lawn care for your home, these are a few of the things you can look forward to:
- Mowing services: This includes not only making sure the grass is nice and short but also trimming, edging, and basic cleaning services so that the lawn is neat.
- Clean ups: Many lawn-care companies will come to your house twice a year – in the Fall and the Spring – to clean up leaves, debris, and any other items that need to be removed.
- Pruning of Trees and Bushes: This involves removing dead wood and branches so that the bushes and trees will grow properly from that point forward.
- Thatch Removal: Removing thatch in the lawn is necessary so that fungus doesn’t grow and kill all of your grass.
- Basic Fertilizing Services: Adding fertilizer and removing weeds occasionally is imperative if you want a healthier lawn.
- Aeration Services: This usually involves loosening up the soil so that water and nutrients go deeper and therefore make the grass healthier.
- Adding Lime: While adding lime isn’t necessary in all parts of the country, it is indeed necessary in other areas, and a good lawn-care company can accommodate these clients.
- Eliminating Pests: Pests such as mosquitoes, slugs, and even ticks can inundate your lawn and stunt the growth of the trees and lawn, so eliminating them is essential.
A lot of people consider basic lawn care a maintenance task, and they’re basically right in this assumption.
Lawn-care companies will come to your house regularly and perform the tasks necessary to keep your lawn looking great and staying healthy.
Usually, these tasks only take about 30 minutes or less, especially if they’re done regularly, but don’t underestimate their importance.
Avoid This: Without regular lawn care, your lawn can start to look brown and unhealthy in no time.
What About Landscaping?
As opposed to basic lawn care, landscaping is a much more time-consuming task because it starts with designing a lawn that is personalized to your tastes and preferences and ends with a gorgeous lawn that you’ll be anxious to show off to others.
This will naturally take much longer than 30 minutes, especially because the planning stage alone can take a while.
Landscaping companies work closely with their clients to design something perfect for them so that the clients always get what they want in the end.
Landscaping can also be a little complex, but not for the client.
Landscaping basically involves taking a blank canvas and creating a work of art that transforms that canvas into something spectacular.
There are also two types of landscaping, and they include:
- Soft landscaping, which includes work with plants, trees, grass, and so on.
- Hard landscaping, which includes installation of structures such as walkways, decks, fountains, and outdoor barbecue areas.
So, if you want trees, flower beds, bushes, and new seedlings placed in your yard, or you need to add mulch to any of your plants or trees, you’re utilizing soft landscaping.
If you want the lawn-care company to provide you with an outdoor pond, fencing, garden sculptures, or even a water fountain, those would be considered hard landscaping.
You can choose one of these options or both of them.
The choice is really up to you because the right lawn-care company can accommodate both of these.
Choose the Services That Are Right for You
The good news is, the right lawn-care company can provide all of these services and more, so when it comes to keeping your lawn looking great, all you need is the right company.
The companies start by ascertaining your needs and helping you decide how they can make your lawn look good, so whether you want a lawn that is lush and green or one that is dotted with a little bit of color, they’ll make sure you get it in the end.
They’ll come to you regularly to make sure your lawn stays healthy, which is important if you want it to remain looking good. They also know how to take care of any type of tree, flower, or shrub because they are familiar with all of them.
If you want something unique in your lawn, not to worry because they’ll make the right recommendation for you to be pleased with your lawn in the end.
Cost a Lot: From basic trees and flowers to the most outlandish structures you can imagine, they do it all, and they do everything at prices you can afford.
If you’ve always wanted your lawn to look better and more unique than anyone else’s, you owe it to yourself to contact a professional lawn-care company so they can create a work of art made just for you.
- Will Aerating a Lawn Help with Drainage?
- How Often To Mow Lawn In Winter? Winter Mowing Guide 2021
- How to Revive a Lawn After Scarifying