One of the best ways to grow olive trees is in a pot.
You can grow them indoors, outdoors, on a patio, or on a terrace, and you have complete control over the soil and conditions.
You can enjoy the olive tree any time, and you can take it with you if you move.
When you are choosing the right pot for your olive tree, the pot should be at least 25% larger than your olive tree’s root ball. Once you have it planted, you will want to check the tree every spring to see if you need to move it to a larger pot. Generally, you will plant a three-year-old olive tree in a pot that is 12 to 15 inches in diameter. If it is younger than three, it will be 6 to 10 inches.
Continue reading to learn all about the best size pots for olive trees.
How Do You Decide the Right Pot Size for an Olive Tree?
The most important thing about deciding on a pot for your olive tree is getting the right size.
The size of the olive tree can influence how it grows, and you may need to move it to a larger pot after it grows.
You need to make sure that the pot is at least 25% larger than the root ball of the tree. Even if you have the right size to start out, it will grow. You need to check the size of the tree once a year and change the pot if necessary.
Most of the time, an olive tree that is younger than three years will go in a pot that is between 6 and 10 inches in diameter.
The next size up is usually one between 12 and 15 inches.
Don’t Forget: You also need to make sure that the pot drains because too much moisture can cause the roots to rot.
What Type of Pot Is Best for Olive Trees?
When you are selecting a pot for your olive tree, you have a few different choices.
This is important because different materials have an impact on how your olive tree grows.
You can choose between clay, wood, plastic, and ceramic pots. Each one has different advantages and disadvantages. In my experience, the best pot for olives trees are large clay pots.
Here are the options:
- Ceramic pots are a popular choice because they look great. They can add to your home decor, and they have great drainage. They are also long-lasting, and can last for decades.
- Clay pots are durable, and they are often called terracotta pots. They also have great drainage. They work well indoors or outdoors, and they are affordable.
- Wooden pots have a natural look, and they work great outdoors. They fit in with the natural beauty of the yard. They are perfect for outdoors all year long, and they are the most durable type of pot.
- Plastic pots are also popular because they are inexpensive, lightweight and attractive. They are easy to move so you can keep your olive tree indoors or outdoors. The problem with these pots is that they are less durable and don’t drain as effectively.
Can You Keep Your Potted Olive Tree Indoors and Outdoors?
You can keep your olive tree indoors or outdoors. You need to make sure that it is protected from wind and freezing weather, and you can bring it inside if the weather conditions are too much for the tree. The olive tree also needs a lot of sunlight.
You can keep your olive tree outdoors when it is cooler, but if you have freezing weather, you need to bring it inside. You can keep it inside in the winter and then place it back out in the spring.
You also need to make sure that it receives between six and eight hours of sunlight.
It does best in full sunlight.
How to Plant Your Olive Tree in a Pot
When you plant your olive tree, make sure that it is the right size.
It needs to be a big enough pot to allow the tree’s roots to grow. It also needs to have good drainage to prevent the roots from rotting.
You will want to plant it in a potting mix to make sure that the soil doesn’t get compacted around the roots.
You need to water the tree, so add water when you notice that the potting mix is dry down to an inch below the surface.
However, it is important to make sure that you don’t water it too much because if there is too much moisture, it can cause the roots to rot and develop other problems.
Keep an eye on how the olive tree is fitting in the pot because as it grows, the roots may become restricted. This will limit both the growth and the ability for the tree to produce fruit.
When Is the Best Time to Repot Olive Trees?
You will want to check your olive tree each year to see if you need a larger pot. If you find that you do, the best time to re-pot the olive tree is in the spring.
You need to make sure that the winter and frost has passed. The olive tree will do better when it is warm and has plenty of sunshine.
Take your new pot, and cover the bottom with your potting mix. Then, place the olive tree in the new pot. You can fill the pot with potting mix until it stands stably in the container. Then, you will want to water it.
When you are planting an olive tree in a pot, it is important to choose the right size. If the pot is too small, it can cause rot around the roots.
You need to pay attention to the olive tree and move it to a larger pot when it outgrows the one it’s in.
The pot should always be about 25% larger than the root ball of the olive tree.
You can keep it indoors or outside, as long as it doesn’t freeze and has plenty of sunshine.
You May Also Like
- Can I Put Mulch in the Bottom of My Planter?
- Best Potted Plants for Full Sun
- Why Is My Catmint Floppy and How Do I Fix It?
- How to Find Pond Leak (Quick Method to Find the Leaks)
- 10 Plants That Don’t Like Mushroom Compost
- 21 Purple House Plants (Indoor varieties with images)
- 10 Beautiful Large & Tall Succulents for Home and Garden
- 22 Purple Flower Trees (Images with Flowering Trees)
- Don’t Use Pine Needles As Mulch Before Reading This Article